zum Inhalt

Health Insurance Care

Students are obliged to have a sufficient health insurance valid in Austria during their stay as exchange students.

Students have to take care of appropriate health insurance by themselves.

National health insurance (stay for longer than 3 month):

If students are from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, it should be sufficient to bring the e-card with them.

Students who have valid national health insurance in their home country can obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their health insurance provider in their country of origin upon application. With this card they will have access to all medically necessary public health services in Austria (at the same conditions and the same costs). Find more details on the website.


If students are a national of third countries (i.e. not EU/EEA or Switzerland), they need a health insurance which is valid in Austria.
In principle travel health insurance must be taken out to enter Austria with a visa (and for the whole duration of your stay). Please note that this insurance must be valid in Austria and provide sufficient cover for various health issues (insurance cover well over 30,000 Euro including guarantee to cover possible recovery and repatriation costs).


The Austrian Student Union’s fee from 21,20€ - per semester (starting in winter semester 22/23, compulsory for all students enrolled at Austrian Universities) covers a liability insurance and an accidence insurance for damages and accidents in the University´s sites and on the way from home to the University –

Insurance_Student union